Tuesday, November 30, 2010

I know I am not alone.....

I am 27 years old, married, and have a 6 year old daughter. My husband served 12 months in Taji, Iraqi while active duty in the US Army. I started this blog because he has PTSD along with a spinal cord injury. The Army decided he was no longer fight for duty and medically discharged him on 07/2007 with 0% disability. This was the beginning of our fight. Our life struggle. So were we surprised they discharged him at 0%. I would be lying if I said no. He was hurt all the army surgeons told him he had "black" disc. No such thing as a "black" disc. He didn't have a disc. Apparently this is a more common problem in the military, yet they don't do anything to medically correct it. His PTSD was not being treated either after repeated cries for help. Okay so now what you ask? Well once we found out that he was out of the army with all the medical issues, it was a race for me to find a better paying job to provide for our family and obtain medically insurance so that he could get the treatment he desperately needed. We had to move back to our hometown, Saint Louis, MO. Thankfully the army moved us, but we couldn't find anywhere to live because I just started a job and he couldn't even work. We had to live with my father until we found someone willing to rent to us. We did it wasn't much and the neighborhood was a lot different from the military life we came from but it worked. I went to work as my husband sank deeper and deeper into his depression. He was also starting to have extreme symptoms from his spinal injury, lose of movement in his lower limbs and other things he would be upset if I typed. Helpless because the VA kept telling us he had no claim, which he did, but it wasn't transfered up from Nashville, TN yet. So I got him a spinal surgeon who was willing to see him, since he was a West Point graduate and served he had a place in his heart for veterans. To our surprise my husband had to have immediate surgery to repair some of the damage in his spine. During this time I didn't have enough money or PTO to stay at home and help him recovery so he did most of it solo. At that point I felt like the worst wife in the world. I was unable to provide the needed support. We paid for the first surgery, not the US ARMY, not the VA, we did. Since I worked at the hospital they took it out of my bi-weekly paycheck for which also came health insurance for myself, my daughter, and my husband. This all less than 2 months after his discharge. To be continued.....

The point of this blog is to tell our story. Because at times I feel as if I am the only iraqi freedom veteran's spouse who lives with the daily emotional struggle of being such. Between the spinal injury and the PTSD some days seem endless and forgotten. I have tried to find a support group or a counselor that specializes in this area but they are only provided for the actual veteran. I find this very upsetting because 95% of the time, except for when he goes to his PTSD counseling, I am his support system, but how am I supposed to support him emotionally when I don't have anywhere to go to ask for help to support him. When he was active there was a support system, FRG, and other resources, now that he isn't active any longer there are none. I will write daily or as much as time allows because I don't want another spouse to feel as alone and helpless as I do.

9 comments:

  1. Get a lawyer and do not let them get away with this!

    Patricia Bennett
    Ret Air Force dep

    ReplyDelete
  2. This honestly infuriates me. I can't believe this has happened to you guys. If I can help in any way please contact me. Also please sign up for the Wounded Warrior Wives Program.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry to hear that you guys are going through this. It is totally unacceptable. Are you working with any kind of service officer or attorney? Please email me so that I can send you some links.


    sarnalishaw@yahoo.com

    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are not alone, there are many of us here. You are not the worse wife; you are doing the best you can with what you are given. Please contact me if you need to vent or speak. We too have had to fight the Army for medical benefits.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are definitely NOT alone, and there are unfortunately many spouses in similar situations -- but that does not make it better, I know. Please register on VeteranCaregiver.com, where we can connect you with public and private people and organizations that can help you NOW. SaffireSara (commenting above) is designing a page specifically for OIF/OEF spouses to share their wisdom, frustration, and joys. We can also connect you to folks to "make it happen" at VA, and you don't have to go this alone. Unfortunately, perseverance is the key to these situations -- but do it WITH others who "get it". Please lean on us; we'll help you navigate and your peers will help you through the worst days and laughter and friends can change the world... You MATTER!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hang in there. You will make it and you will find support through your blog and other groups out there. Cheryl will be a great resource for you. Ask her anything! Her knowledge in this arena is unbelievable. I also have a friend in your area who would be a great benefit for you. Get in contact with me and I will help get you set up with her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. FROM PAT ROWE KERR: Please text me on 573-462-9531 with your number so I can call you tomorrow. I am the former State Veterans Ombudsman, Director, Operation Outreach and Sr. Advisor to the Executive Director of the Missouri Veterans Commission. If you need to know more about who I am just yahoo, bing, or google Pat Rowe Kerr. It will be my honor to try and help. Thank you. Pat

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish I had the time to tell you all we have been through as well. I want to say I cant belive that you would have to pay for your husband's surgery but actually I can believe it because the whole department of the Army are a bunch of inconsiderate, irresponsible, negligent morons. Thats all I am gonna say cause now I am all fired up and need a drink! Girl, I have been there, still am there and have been back and forth between the Army and VA and we are in the middle of a thid TDRL appeal. There are guys bringing in 100% permanent and total VA disability ratings by lying about PTSD severity and faking TBIs....no f*ing joke and now the guys who are truly messed up are getting dicked around. If you need anything or just want to chat or vent...call me anytime 541-680-6884. Hang in there...its not easy and probably never will be but there are plenty of us out there willing to be a scratching post if you need it. Oh and dont ever let anyone tell you that you are a bad wife...you are the best wife on earth because you are still there fighting and thats just what we do! Know your rights, dont back down and dont be afraid to get your point across even if it means offending someone behind a desk occasionally because they arent doing their job.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sexypat1: I would love to get a lawyer, but I would also love to be a millionaire. We have never had enough money to get a lawyer to get legal services for this.

    Wife of Wounded Soldier
    I saw the program and I think I signed up. I wasn't clear if I do it correctly or not. I am looking forward to see what it brings.

    Mel:
    Thank you for saying I'm not alone. Because sometimes I sit here and think WOW am I really going crazy? I was just asked a lot from me and I did not know how to juggle it all sometimes.

    Linda:

    I will check out that website ASAP! Thanks :)

    Gina:

    thanks and I have a feeling she will be too.

    Linda:

    LINDA THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!! I have been looking for Pat! She helped us a lot especially getting the Second surgery paid for by the VA. The process was very long and she helped move it along faster and she also connected us with a charity that helped with our rent once after his surgery. I will contact her tomorrow!

    CongoWife:
    It doesn't take too much for me to be fired up about these kinds of things too anymore. We are filing an appeal to the ARMY Medically Review Board. I hope he can at least become retired vs. medically discharged. I agree about it not being easy it's been 4 years since he has come home from Iraq and sometimes it feels like it was just yesterday.

    ReplyDelete